October 21, 2020
Dear Browns School Families,
After 7 months of not having students on campus, I am excited and of course nervous about students returning to Browns School. Our school was given the green light yesterday to reopen. Our plan is to have students back on campus starting November 2nd. Half the students will be here Monday and Tuesday. The other half of the students will be Thursday and Friday. The final details will be sent out next week. We will try our best to make this as smooth as possible.
I am so proud of the amazing people in our community. We have worked together to develop plans that have given families and staff choices based upon our comfort level with the uncertainty of this pandemic. We have worked together to develop plans that will keep students and staff safe. We have worked together to logistically make this happen. I know that we have all had to do so much new learning over these last 7 months.
Here are some important reminders that will keep our students and staff safe:
1. We have set up my email for anyone who has a student who has tested positive or if a student is a close contact of anyone who has tested positive. You may call 530-633-2523 or email me at email@example.com. I will return these messages ASAP. Privacy is extremely important to us. I will be the only one checking these messages and will make sure that our school nurse interns or I contact you and develop a plan.
2. It will be very important that each morning you do a check of symptoms with your child. If your child has any of these symptoms keep them home.
1. Fever or chills
3. Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
5. Muscle or body aches
7. New loss of taste or smell
8. Sore throat
9. Congestion or runny nose
10. Nausea or vomiting
3. Please have several masks that your child can wear. 3rd-8th grade students must wear masks. TK-2 students will be highly encouraged to wear masks. Shields are not as effective as masks, therefore masks are preferred. Some exceptions may be made at the schools discretion.
4. Update your contact information with Mrs. Hill in the office. If your child becomes ill or shows any of the symptoms for Covid-19, we will need to make sure that we can contact you quickly to pick up your student. The only people who can pick up your children are those people in your child’s contacts.
5. Get flu shots for your children.
6. Please follow all of the guidelines that the schools have set out for the safety of your children and Browns staff.
I don't know what the future holds for us as we reopen. I do know that we will have to make more adjustments to our plans and we must be prepared to shift courses. Please know our absolute goal is to provide the best academic, social, and emotional program, while at the same time keep everyone safe. Please be prepared for changes and be supportive when they occur.
We know that we will have staff and/or students who will test positive for COVID or will be close contacts with positive tests. I will keep our community as informed as I can about these positive tests while keeping privacy a top priority. Please treat this information with dignity. If you know who the person is please treat that information as confidential and if you don't know who the person is please don't try to get more information. Our District staff promises that we will conduct a thorough contact tracing investigation and we will inform every close contact before we make the public announcement.
We look forward to seeing your students back at school Monday, November 2, 2020. Thank you for your continued support.
Browns Elementary School District